Hourglass Ambient Lighting Edit

2 December 2015


Guess who's back, back again, Basmah's back, tell your friends. It's been a hot minute, to the point where I think I've forgotten how to write a blog post. Like what do I talk about? Do I have to introduce myself? Guess I'll just have to wing it. I think a break was necessary for me to find my mojo, focus on my life a little, but now I'm getting into the groove again. So tell me, how have you been? Started your Christmas shopping yet? Let me know. Anyway, today I'm writing about something exciting and a little fancy. You have probably already read the title, but today I'm talking about the brand new Hourglass Ambient Lighting Edit. Yep, that palette that all the bloggers are talking about because they either love it or hate it. So keep reading to find out which side I'm on.


Right, so I'm a huge fan of Hourglass. From their foundations, to their ambient powders, that brand is right up my street. So when I found out that come Christmas, they were releasing this monster of a palette I knew I had to have it. The Ambient Edit comes with three ambient powders, two blushes and one bronzer. Now, when I was doing my research, I came across a number of bloggers and YouTubers complaining about the size, saying that the entire palette was equivalent to a MAC eyeshadow. Naturally, I was like "what the....?!" that is so tiny! But then I saw it in the flesh and I was like "no way is this entire thing the size of one small eyeshadow", turns out it wasn't. Each pan is equivalent to one eyeshadow, and while that still seems tiny, I find you only use a small amount of each so this palette should last you a long time.

Let's talk packaging. This palette is encased in a gold, metal covering, and inside has an enormous mirror. That is a big plus. Not because I'm vapid and I need to constantly stare at my entire face, but it makes this palette great for travelling, as you can use the large mirror to do your makeup on the go. The palette is very luxe, as everything looks picture perfect aesthetically, and it sort of makes you want to show this product off to world. Inside comes with three powders, including one brand new 'strobing' powder that has not been released outside of the edit. The powders are Dim Light, Iridescent Light and Diffused Light. The two blushes you receive are Mood Exposure and Luminous Flush. Finally, the bronzer is Luminous Bronze Light - a shimmery warm toned bronzer that gives a beautiful glow to the skin.

What I love about this palette is the versatility. You have everything to need to get a glowing complexion in one place. As someone with NC35 skin, these powders suit my complexion perfectly, but will also look beautiful on those who are lighter or darker than me. When it comes to blendability the blushes and bronzer are not streaky or chalky in the slightest, and each of them have slight shimmer in it but nothing too extravagant. I also find that the pigment is long lasting and you only need to tap your brush in the product to get a nice flush of colour. Most of the time I gravitate towards Luminous Flush which is the pinker blush out of the two as I just prefer that colour on my skin tone, but Mood Exposure is a great, cool tone blush that compliments more natural makeup looks. Although I love the blushes, my favourite has to be the bronzer. When Hourglass came out with the full size version of the bronzer a couple of months before, I was a little put off as I thought it would look orange and a little too shimmery, but I couldn't have been more wrong. This bronzer enhances your natural skin colour and gives you a summery glow that isn't too overpowering. While the undertone is on the warmer side, on myself I don't find it to be too orange, but be careful if you have very fair skin as this may come across as orange on you. I like to apply the bronzer on the tops of the cheeks and forehead just to give me a hint of colour.

When it comes to the powders, I have had a loving relationship with Dim Light as I find it helps blur out my pores and imperfections. Diffused light is also stunning to use as a cheek highlight and I find that the shimmer can be a little chunky in comparison to other highlighters I own. Then comes Iridescent Light, which is the powder in the middle and the brand new strobing powder. Just like Dim Light, I love this one. I wouldn't use this one all over my face, but I just like to focus this on the tops of my cheekbones, bridge of my nose and all the other places I like to highlight. One thing to remember is, these powders will not be as intense as Becca Champagne Pop or Mary Lou-minizer. They are made to be a very subtle highlight so if you are after something more obvious, you would probably want to skip these.

The way I use this palette is: I use Dim Light underneath my eyes and anywhere I get oily, I usually skip Diffused Light. Then I go in with the bronzer on the highest points of my cheek, then apply one of the blushes then finish off with Iridescent Light on the tops of my cheekbones and bridge of my nose. Voila! You will now be looking as glowing as ever. The price for this palette is $117 and is available at Mecca Maxima and Mecca Cosmetica stores around the country. I think that is definitely a con, the price is quite extravagent and steep and not everyone wants to fish out $117 on a palette. Is it worth it? To be honest, while I LOVE this palette, I do wish it was slightly cheaper, but if you have the money then definitely go and grab one while you can. This palette will last you a long time, and the shades are absolutely stunning. Did I mention that this is limited edition? So run don't walk as I heard they're selling out fast!

What have you tried from Hourglass?

Leave a Comment

  1. I didnt' end up getting this due to the size issue, but I got the ambient lighting trio and i love it! buggered that I missed out on the blush trio

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wanted the blush trio so badly! I have the powder trio and that one is great. Here is hoping that they release the blush palette again! x

      Delete
  2. It's so beautiful but I could never afford it :(

    Lana-sultana.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a pretty steep price isn't it!? I wish it was slightly cheaper because $117 is a lot of money to spend on a palette!

      Delete
  3. I've got the blush trio and ambient lighting palette, so for me, I'm having a hard time justifying this.
    It is so lovely though, and if you didn't have much hourglass definitely a great buy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely, if you have both of those then no need to grab this one! Those palettes also have bigger sizes which is definitely a plus! x

      Delete

I love to know what you think! Leave your blog links below for me to check out, but please don't comment follow for follow. It isn't very nice.