RT Miracle Complexion Sponge

13 October 2014



You would probably know by now that I love Real Techniques, and I also love their founder, Sam and Nic Chapman (they once answered my question in their video and I freaked out), so it's only natural that I was curious to see how their Miracle Complexion Sponge would work. Now, I always wanted to try the Beauty Blender, but $26 for a sponge? It may be worth it but I can never get myself to spend so much on a pink egg, so when Real Techniques released their own version for a measly $6.87 (from iHerb.com), I knew I had to try it. I would like to apologise in advance, because my sponge is a little dirty with foundation, but I haven't really found a good product to clean it with, so if you know one, then please let me know!







Unlike the egg shaped Beauty Blender, this Miracle Complexion Sponge has a pointed side on one end, and a flat side on the other. I apply my foundation with brushes, so I was a little skeptical on how this would work, would it absorb all of my foundation? Would it leave my face streaky? To answer those life long questions I took the plunge. The trick to using this product is using it damp, so I like to spray it water, squeeze the excess out, and make sure it isn't too wet. I admit, I had to watch a couple of Sam and Nic's (Pixiwoo) videos on YouTube to figure out how to use this thing, but in the end I used the dome shaped side to stipple on my foundation (much like the BB), and the flat side to make sure I don't have any streaks, and everything is smooth and flawless.  I also like to use the flat side for concealing my under eyes, and it works like a charm, since the shape allows it to fit right in the corners of your eyes.



What's great about this sponge is that it's a multi-purpose product. So if you're someone who doesn't want to invest in a million brushes, then this product is fantastic, as you can apply foundation, powder, concealer, and blush with just one sponge. I also really enjoy how this feels against my skin. Unlike some BB dupes, this isn't hard or tough, but rather it feels very much like the Beauty Blender. Now, I haven't tried the BB, but according to the reviews on Makeup Alley, this is a perfect dupe for the BB, so if you're like me, and recoil in horror by just thinking about spending $26 on a sponge, then check this out.

When it came to my foundation and concealer, I found that it looked really seamless and natural, almost as if I wasn't wearing anything on my skin at all. Also, my concealer blended beautifully, and didn't crease throughout the day either. It does give a little less coverage than when I use a brush as it does absorb some of the product, but unlike other sponges, it doesn't absorb a ridiculous amount. As I mentioned before, I haven't found a product to clean it with, and while it isn't hard to wash, I want to find a product that cleans it well and sanitizes it from the inside and out.

Dry

Damp


I will say, that I've seen photos of the BB when it's damp, and it almost doubles it's size compared to when it's dry. The Miracle Complexion Sponge didn't grow too much after I soaked it in water, and while there was a difference, it wasn't anything major.

My final verdict? I will have to say that Sam and Nic, you never fail to disappoint! This sponge is a great addition to everyones collection, or if you're a beginner, a great tool to have as a starting point. It's multi-functional, affordable, and works the same way a BB does! If you're after a sponge for makeup application, then I can't recommend this enough!

Have you tried this product? If so, did you like it? Let me know!

Leave a Comment

  1. Not trying to be rude, but I really do not understand the point of reviews that do not show the product in use, the end result on the skin.. etc. I don't know about others, but I immediately leave any blog review that doesn't show the product in action. Totally pointless imo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the feedback! Unfortunately I wasn't sure how to show the product in action through photos, so unless I film a video it wouldn't really work out! But I'll keep that in mind for the future x

      Delete
  2. I absolutely love this sponge as well. I use it in the same way and I love the results - it really gives a natural, seamless finish. The extra time is definitely worth it. I find the Daiso detergent for Puff and Sponge (also works for brushes) quite good to clean it with - though it does take a few goes to get most of the stains out.

    Tasha // shiwashiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a Daiso near me so I'll definitely go check that out! Thanks Tasha for the recommendation, I was so confused on what to wash it with! x

      Delete
  3. I have actually never tried a sponge to apply foundation or concealer or anything! Great informative review Basmah. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bas, great review, hun. My most used tool to apply foundation is my fingers, lol. Maybe I'll have some better luck with this than foundation brushes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fingers work a treat too! Best of all, they're free haha! I hope you have some luck with this sponge Michelle, let me know how it goes! x

      Delete
  5. Fantastic review Bas! :D I think it's perfect x
    I've been eyeing off this sponge for a while now and now I just want it more. And it's sooo cheap. Next time I place an iherb order it's going in the basket too.
    So I'm dying to know what you asked Sam and Nic :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gemma! It really is, and I hope you like it! As for the question, I asked Sam if she wasn't a makeup artist, what career would she be in haha, she said my name also, so I totally freaked out! x

      Delete
  6. Great review! I think you have convinced me to give this a try. I might need to check out the videos too, because I have no idea how to use a sponge like this! X

    Bec | Bec & Beauty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you enjoyed it Bec, thank you! I really recommend checking out their videos, I've learnt so much. Let me know how it works out! x

      Delete
  7. Great review! I was a bit on the fence about this, but I loved reading your review on it :)
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a great detailed review Basmah and I really understand how it's a pain to clean!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Wendy! I'm glad you enjoyed it! x

      Delete
  9. What a lovely review! I’ve walked past it in the store a couple of times but always been a bit too worried that it would dissapoint me so I never tried it! Really happy I read this!

    Hope you’re having a beautiful week!

    xx

    www.dearyouloveem.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw I'm so glad you enjoyed the post! Thank you for the kind words! x

      Delete
  10. I have always wanted these brushes :)
    I'm running a "Naked pallet" giveaway, if you're interested, check this link:
    little taste of heaven

    ReplyDelete
  11. I clean my brushes and beauty blender with johnsons baby shampoo and it does the job perfectly. U should try .

    ReplyDelete

I love to know what you think! Leave your blog links below for me to check out, but please don't comment follow for follow. It isn't very nice.