Products Not Worth The Hype

22 February 2014


Before I purchase anything, I thoroughly research it, to the point where I should know every single thing about it, because the last thing I want is to waste my money on something that I don't like. So, when a product I'm lusting after has rave reviews, and claims to make your life better (these don't claim that, but you get what I mean), I get excited, only to be disappointed after I make the purchase. So, to help you avoid that situation, I've decided to do a "Products Not Worth The Hype", but a little disclaimer, these didn't work for me, but many people love these products, so don't just take my word for it, try it out for yourself then make judgement!



Covergirl Lash Blast Mascara // It all started when I was on the hunt for a great waterproof mascara, so as usual, I Googled "best waterproof mascara" and lo and behold, this product was recommended to me about a kazillion times. So, obviously I decided to try it, plus it was cheap, so I really couldn't go wrong. Well let me tell you, that in kind words, this is probably the worst mascara I have ever tried in my existence, and I have tried A LOT of mascaras. Sure it's waterproof, but it takes about a year to take off, and it does nothing to your lashes besides make it clumpy and weighed down. To be honest, I've never had any luck with Covergirl products in the past, and if I had to choose the worst brand from the drugstore, it would probably have to be Covergirl. The brush is made of plastic, which I'm generally not a fan of, and it doesn't add volume or length, instead it just flakes on me halfway through the day. Thankfully, I bought it for $10, but considering I could buy a burger meal from Mcdonalds for $10, I'm still disappointed. 


Garnier BB Cream // What is this? Seriously, what is the point of this BB cream? This product claims to be a "miracle skin perfector", and promises to give you hydration, comfort, UV protection, plus it also claims to correct signs of fatigue, dullness, imperfections and blemishes. My verdict? It gave me none of that. Now, before I go on about why I didn't like this product, I should say that I enjoy using the Garnier BB Cream for Oily/Combo skin, but this one? Not a chance. This product didn't give me any coverage, didn't improve my skin, and by the end of the day my skin had more oil than Dubai. The texture is quite thick and creamy, and if you have dry skin then you may enjoy this more than I did, but will I repurchase? Definitely not. Oh, and Garnier, if you're reading this, please expand your shade range. 


La Roche Posay Effaclar Duo // I had my eye on this ever since Tanya Burr featured this in one of her favourite videos, so when I found out Priceline was selling it, I ran and bought it straight away. Luckily I didn't waste too much money since they were having a 40% off all skincare products, because this product is definitely not worth the hype. Every single British beauty blogger/vlogger raves about this stuff, and while it may work for them, it hasn't done anything for me. The consistency is very thin, and it's also very absorbent which is great, but that's where all the good stuff end. This is supposed to be a spot treatment, and instead of helping me get clearer skin, it just adds more pimples and a whole bunch of other not-so-nice stuff. I know people say "you're skin gets worse before it gets better" but frankly I rather not go through the stage of my skin becoming worse, and I don't have enough patience to wait for my skin to get better. 

I hope you enjoyed this post, since I've never done something like this before. If you would like to see more of these in the future then please let me know! 

What's a product you have tried that wasn't worth the hype? 

Leave a Comment

  1. I love this kind of post. I think sometimes people get so involved in the hype of products that they say they love it no matter what! I haven't tried any of these. I wanted to try the Effaclar duo but I have been skeptical about it. I think you may have helped me make up my mind. I don't think I want it anymore. Great post!

    melaniface

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Melanie, and I completely agree! I usually find that products everyone loves never work out for me!

      Delete
  2. Great idea for a blog! You made me laugh describing the Garnier as leaving you with "more oil then Dubai". :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kellie! I'm glad it made you laugh haha x

      Delete
  3. I thought I was the only person who didn't find the La Roche Posay Effaclar Duo to be all that great!
    I gave in to all the hype and purchased it, and it has not done much for me. Nowadays I'll use it to spot treat pimples, but i'm not sure if it even helps them clear up faster. I wouldn't repurchase it and the tube I've got will take me forever to get through.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad I'm not the only one! I originally thought I was using it wrong, but I tried everything and it just didn't work for me!

      Delete
  4. Great post, Bas. I had a sad face about the Garnier BB cream disappointing you, until I read further and you said that you liked the one for oily/combo skin. I love it! I haven't tried this one, and definitely won't be now, lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I really enjoy the oily/combo formula, but this one is downright terrible! I think it may be suited for more dryer skins. But I can't imagine anyone liking it really, as it doesn't give much coverage at all! Thank you for reading! x

      Delete
  5. Great post! Especially because I was thinking about trying the Covergirl mascara.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I gave up on covergirl a while ago, i picked up a few dodgy products, including a flaking mascara!

    LilynotLouise | Beauty and Food

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're products are such bad quality, every single thing I've tried just doesn't work for me!

      Delete
  7. I totally agree about CG...it makes me think of the 13 year old oompa loompas from high school with horrible makeup hehe. Regarding the BB cream, there are a few Western BB creams like that...they seem to do nothing at all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes haha! It was the first makeup brand I tried when I was younger, and even then I was so disappointed by their products. You're completely right about western BB creams, I've never tried original Asian BB creams, but after hearing everyone rave about them, I definitely want to give it a try!

      Delete
  8. Its disappointing about the Garnier bb cream! I love your blog layout, now following hun, xoxo.

    ReplyDelete
  9. awwh that sucks. I really liked the Covergirl mascara. I just got done with mine, and currently using the Rimmel The Max Volume Flash mascara. (:
    ~Makaela at www.makaelassuitcase.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many people like it! Unfortunately it just didn't work out for me x

      Delete

I love to know what you think! Leave your blog links below for me to check out, but please don't comment follow for follow. It isn't very nice.